Life on the rock. A Habhater's tale. <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 25, 2006

And now for something completely different: Over the past two nights I have finished watching both the BBC 6 hour long Pride and Predjudice movie and the American 2 and a half hour Pride and Predjudice movie. I'd like to say first of all that the BBC version is soooooo much better than the other one. Colin Firth as Mr Darcy was perfect casting and Jennifer Ehle as Lizzie gave me a new level of woman to watch out for. She was perfect and Mr Darcy comes off as not perfect which makes his journey back to redemption that much sweeter. In the U.S. version I hated Keira Knightley as Lizzie. She comes off as a very dislikable woman to me whereas Matthew Macfadyen as Mr Darcy comes off as a decent guy right from the beginning. This makes Keira Knightley look even worse because she is rejecting a nice guy. The script for the U.S. version was just terrible in comparison to the BBC version. As annoying as Lizzy's mother is in the BBC version I like her better and Mr. Bennet is a cuddly Anthony Hopkins lookalike. The one thing the U.S. version had going for it was it is a beautiful movie. I love the landscapes and the artwork in the houses. My favourite part of the BBC version which is not captured in the U.S. version is the look Elizabeth gives to Mr. Darcy across the piano I believe as Georgianna is playing. Incidentally the Australia version of the U.S. 2005 movie cuts the last scene where Mr Darcy keeps saying Mrs. Darcy over and over. It ends with Donald Sutherland laughing in his chair. Either ending sucked compared to the BBC double wedding ending. My favourite character should come as no surprise. There's something about Mary. I love her. She tries so hard and is underappreciated. (although I wouldn't mind meeting a BBC Elizabeth) Well that's all for now. Let me know what you thought of these movies.

Comments:
The only US version of Pride and Prejudice ever made is from 1940.
The excellent movie that came out last year was a thoroughly British production.

And Elizabeth certainly isn't perfect. Not in the novel and not in any adpatation I've seen. If she was it would ruin the story.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?